It all started February 17, 2007. It was a Wednesday. (at least I think it was...)
My friend had just finished taking her bar exam and I had promised her a week before that I would go out and get a celebration drink with her after. I remember not wanting to go out that night, it was particularly cold and I wasn't in the mood to 'cute' myself up. I specifically remember complaining to my best friend and roommate of the time "I don't even care what I look like tonight, it's not like I'm going to meet my husband or anything." Boy was I wrong!
My friend and I went down the street to Old Chicago. Although it could be described as a bar a few years later after it had gained some recognition, at this time Jeff had referred to it as 'the sausage hangout.' We sat down and ordered a drink and some dinner. I wasn't feeling this night at all I kept day-dreaming of my bed and pillows. Well at some point I had to get up and go to the bathroom. I remember walking to the restroom doors and noticing a table of guys that seemed to be looking my way. How embarrassing..not something you want to happen as you're walking to go pee. Was there something stuck to me? Did I look like I was in obvious bladder discomfort? After I was done I scurried back to the table and forgot about it.
A little while later Jeff came over to our table. I thought "hmm, what is this guy doing over here? I know he can't be coming over her to hit on us at a pizza place." Jeff then tried to act all suave and said that he and his friends always played this game where they guess peoples ages. If he got it right he got a beer, if they got it right they got a beer. He guessed my age was 22. He was right! He later confessed that I had looked 19, but he figured I had to at least be 21 since I was drinking a beer and he didn't want to offend me so he added one extra year. Then he sat down with us at our table and talked our ears off for at least an hour about his job on the oil field and a bunch of other equally boring drinking conversation topics. ;) He was so nice and cute though, I thought he was such a nice guy!
He then tried to convince us that we should go snowboarding the next day. We both humored him and told him that we'd think about it. (later that night we both agreed that it would be very creepy if we went having just met him.)
The next night Jeff called to invite me out to dinner with him and his friends but I was busy so I had to say no. I think he thought I was blowing him off!
Then on Friday I called him and asked him to dinner. He said yes! We went to Cooper Smiths a local pub and then we went out to see "The Zodiac." The movie was pretty lame but I was having so much fun because I was with him!
Well that is our story of how we first met! Yes, I did indeed meet Jeff at a pseudo bar over some very lame pick-up lines! But what a catch he is :)
Now as far as wedding planning goes... we haven't done too much lately. Our next thing to schedule is our cake tasting which we are both really excited about! Who can't be excited about trying a bunch of yummy different cake flavors?
I did just get in my reception earrings which I love! Here is a picture of them, aren't they so fun!


They match my shoes and hairpin!

THANKS! Your post is witty and lots of fun. I love it... did I also mention how much I love shoes. I LOVE SHOES. And those pair there are GREAT. I cannot wait to see you all gussied up. YEAH, wedding!!!
ReplyDeleteTell Jeff not to be such a goober... I cannot believe that he used that hideous pickup gig on you! I suppose it can't be that terrible - it worked! If you are in the mood for a GREAT story, go to Pioneer Woman's blog and read the story of her and Marlboro Man. You'll really enjoy it.
Good luck with the cake tasting. We did carrot cake, it was yummy. I did not end up with it smeared all over my face either. I would have killed Eric. I do not find that sort of thing funny at all (sometimes I take myself too seriously - I did not want cake smeared all over me in a beautiful dress, on that most important day, in front of everyone - what a party pooper!)
PS Pearls are extremely elegant. Excellent choice, such class and grace you possess darling. :)
ReplyDeleteOh man, too cute! "Love the bag, Love the shoes, Love everything, Love to." Some one please tell me they can name that movie! Great Movie! Anywho- great story Emily...the story of Brian and I is not so romantic and pehaps a little lame, so at least you have a story. I wish I could fly down and try cake with you, I LIVE FOR CAKE! That is the ONE and ONLY yes I said it, One and Only reason that I attend weddings- TO EAT CAKE! Love the earrings, way cute!
ReplyDeleteThanks ladies! I am so excited for cake tasting, I am also a huge cake fan! Well.. a fan of food in general :) And I'm the same way Jo, not cake smearing for me..yuck! Who wants to go through all the trouble of looking beautiful to have it all messed up with cake? No thanks! I will have to warn Jeff of his consequences if he attempts it.
ReplyDelete