Although I've posted these pictures on Facebook already, nothing is officially documented until it's reached the blog! We celebrated Johanna's baptism yesterday at St. Thomas More. Our Pastor did the ceremony which was meaningful because he had also married us and confirmed me this past Easter. It was a beautiful service and Johanna did so great, she was so content the entire time. She was like a little cabbage patch doll! Since I know these rituals may be a little confusing to some, I'll try to explain a little of what went on!

Here Father Andrew is anointing her with oil on her heart representing Christ's salvation...it was part of the exorcism. No head spinning or puking split pea soup involved.. ;)

Father Andrew poured the consecrated water over Johanna's head three times; the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. At first she gave a little jump and threw her hands in the air, but she didn't seem to mind at all. Must be all those bathes she's been getting that she loves!


After being anointed with chrism (which smells heavenly!) Father Andrew passed out a white linen for her to wear symbolising her pure soul cleansed from original sin.

Our Godparent's then lit a candle symbolising the light of the world (Jesus.) The candle is to remind us to raise her in our faith. Leave it to the Catholics to cram in as much symbolism as possible in a half hour ceremony!


For the baptism Johanna wore the same gown that I had worn as a child at my baptism. She was also able to wear her Great-Great Grandpa's baptismal gown. Jeff's Great-Grandpa wore it when he was 10 years old, which is why it is so big! It was very special that she was able to wear it as well.

Here are our God Parents, Brian and Kristi. I have known Kristi since the 5th grade. After we sat next to each other on the first day of class we became best friends. I even moved out to Colorado 3 year after she had. It is so nice having her live here with me, it's like I have family here too even though mine is 1200 miles away!


Jeff on his baptism day.

Me on my baptism day.

Our little peanut on her baptism day!

And of course I had to add the picture of her little tiny princess shoes... they are just too cute!
Great throwback photos! You were a super cute baby. Little Miss Johanna was certainly the belle of the baptismal. Too cute. I really like her booties.
ReplyDeleteThese are all such awesome photos! Love your new camera? Looks like your working it nicely!
ReplyDeleteMy favorite part are the photos of all of you in your gowns. It will be a neat thing for Johanna to see one day.
ReplyDelete