Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Adventure Park Part I

 On Jeff's last two days in town we decided to hit the road and go on a family vacation. Glenwood Springs is about a 3 hour drive into the mountains. They are known for their natural hot springs and vapor caverns. I wasn't sure if Johanna was old enough for the natural hot springs so I did some research online and found an add for an adventure park instead.
 We stayed at Hotel Glenwood, which was a kid friendly hotel located right at the base of the mountain and the Glenwood Cavern Adventure Park. To get to the park we had to take a tram ride up Iron Mountain. Johanna was fascinated by the views.
The park was made up of several different 'adventure' rides. Don't you love this view? Keep it in mind while viewing the next few pictures.
 My favorite ride of the day was the giant canyon swing. It was positioned right at the edge of the summit so that you were swung into the open air 1,300 feet above the Colorado River.
 After being securely fastened the ride would begin swinging back and forth at 50 miles per hour, so fast your stomach would flip. 
Remember the view from the picture above? This is what you saw as you were launched into the air and held upside down. The first time we road Jeff and I were able to go together thanks to a very friendly group of moms and grandparents who volunteered to hold Johanna. I screamed the entire time. I had so much fun I went several more times throughout the day.
 Even though Johanna wasn't able to go on the high speed rides, she was able to participate in some of the attractions. Here is a snapshot from the timed maze we had completed in 14 minutes and 27 seconds...good thing we weren't competing for money!
For lunch we ate at the Overlook Grill. We enjoyed our food while viewing the tram and gorgeous view.
 The next thing we tried out was the zipline. It was a two person seat, but this time we had to go solo while the other watched Johanna and snapped photos. 


Do you see Jeff way down at the bottom?
 There was an alpine roller coaster where you were able to control the speed of your car while cruising down the mountain. I thought it was a little freaky at first, you would wind the bends so quickly you felt like you were going to fly off the side of the mountain.
 For lunch Johanna enjoyed her first taste of blueberries (mixed with pears and purple carrots.) She loved it so much she was blowing raspberries the entire time while eating. What a silly girl!

2 comments:

  1. All i can say is WOW ! I can not belive Jeff did the swing the view were spectactular and only 3 hrs. from home. Jeff was the kid who was never thrilled with the rides at Elitches. I want to plan a trip now !!!! i am thinking a two nighter in order to get everything done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree- I want to go there the next time we are in CO! We might need to stay with you for a month to visit all of these cool places you've been blogging about ;)

    ReplyDelete